By Jamie Tweedie, Licensed Practical Nurse and Client Services Manager, Parkland Clayton Park
Have you ever wondered why you feel so much better emotionally and physically after telling a funny joke that leaves your eyes watering and leaves you out of breath? Laughter, that is why. It really is the best medicine. When we consider our overall mental and physical health, laughter is the best medicine.
No matter what your culture is, what language you speak or what your age is, everyone benefits from laughter. Seniors specially benefit from humour. As we age, let’s make sure we get an extra chuckle or two in a day.
Laughter releases endorphins. These are chemicals released in the brain that reduce stress, decrease pain, and improve happiness. Laughter lowers blood pressure, helps to decrease depression, increases the blood flow throughout the body, helps boost your immune system, decreases stress and tension in your body and, best of all, laughter helps improve your memory.
Laughter can be the best ice breaker to make new friends, it can help lighten a challenging situation you may be experiencing, or it can repair past relationships that may be broken. When you do something embarrassing, you can chuckle at yourself instead of feeling embarrassed. Always keep a humourous joke on hand to read and release those endorphins.
Here are some jokes for you to enjoy and share
• I told my physical therapist I broke mu arm into places. He told me to stop going to those places.
• Why did the golfer bring an extra pair of pants? In case he got a holein-one.
• Why do seagulls fly over the sea? If they flew over the bay, they would be bagels.
• What did the football coach say to the broken vending machine? Give me my quarterback!
• I was addicted to hokey pokey…. but now I turned myself around.
• I do not trust stairs. They are always up to something.
So, put on a funny show or movie, search jokes online if you have a computer, then just sit back, and enjoy the humour. Each time you laugh, you help your body and get healthier. Be sure to spread the word to your friends, too, and laugh together!
Photo by Yaroslav Shuraev: https://www.pexels.com/photo/laughing-elderly-women-sitting-on-couch-8088245/